The Fun They Had | Thinking about Language
1. Find the sentences in the lesson which have the adverbs in the box below.
- It was awefully funny to read words (Para 1)
- her mother had shaken her head sorrowfully and sent for the County Inspector (Para 3)
- the history sector had blanked out completely. (Para 5)
- He added loftily pronuncing the word carefully (Para 6)
- each kid has to be taught differently (Para 8)
- Margie said quickly (Para 8)
- 'May be', he said nonchalantly. (Para 9)
2. Now use these adverb to fill in the blanks in the sentences below.
The report must be read _________________ so that performace can be improved.
At the interview, he answered our questions _________________, shrugging his shoulders.
We all behave _________________ when we are tired or hungry.
The teacher shook her head _________________ when Ravi lied to her.
I _________________forgot about it.
When I complimented her on her success, she just smiled _________________ and turned away.
The President of the Company is _________________busy and will not be able to meet you.
I finished my _________________so that I vould go out to play.
Ans. (i) Carefully (ii) Loftily (iii) Sorrowfully (iv) Sorrowfully
(v) Completely (vi) nonchalantly (vii) Completely (viii) Quickly
Ans. (i) angrily (ii) happily (iii) merrilly (iv) sleepily (v) easily (vi) noisily (vii) tidily (viii) gloomily
4. Complete the following conditional sentences. Use the correct form of the verbs.
If I don't go to Anu's party tonight, ____________________
If you don't telephone the hotel to order food, ____________________
Unless you promise to write back, I ____________________
If she doesn't play any games, ____________________
Unless that little bird flies away quickly, the cat ____________________
If I don't go to Anu's party tonight, she will feed sad.
If you don't telephoe the hotel to order food, we shall not be able to get food later.
Unless you promise to write back, I won't write to you.
If she does not play any games, she will became lazy.
Unless that little bird flies away, the cat will kill him.